Friday, March 20, 2009

Libertarianism

I for some time now had up till recently been calling myself a Libertarian (or something very close to Libertarian). Now, I don't think I really identify with that group anymore, except for a large part of what they believe about individual/personal freedoms. I guess it is the economic view that Libertarians hold, which (if I am getting this right) is: let the market do whatever it wants. It seems a little to wild west to me. The recent (relatively) financial crisis has reinforced my views about this. I think that we absolutely have to have regulations in place in order to protect the consumer, potential investors, and the American public. I think it is a bad idea to let the inmates run the asylum. Though, you might bring up that the SEC knew about Madoff for a decade and did nothing about it. You are absolutely right, government be as easily corrupted as an individual. But at least we have some sort of recourse with those on the SEC that let Madoff happen than what we do with some individuals. I am just rambling at this point, so I don't know if I have made any coherent statements, I just needed to get it out so that maybe you my dear reader can help me through it. I mind you, I am in no way an expert in economics or politics, I do enjoy both but it is a bit out of my scope of expertise (do I have any??). So, if I am wrong or misled about any of this, please let me know and I will post it here.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment