Friday, November 27, 2009

It's That Time of Year

Yes, the holiday season is upon us.  Many of us are shopping and preparing for the onslaught of family and friends who we'll be seeing this holiday season.  Such preparations often include sending out holiday cards to friends and family.  Usually the cards are run-of-the-mill Hallmark cards that usually say something like, "May you and yours have a warm holiday season" or something to that effect.  More often than not the cards are laced with religious bits of seasons greetings.  They are usually short little antiquated tidbits like, "He's the reason for the season; or And a child was born."  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the holiday season per se, I don't mind getting holiday or as some insist -Christmas- cards from friends and family.

However, and you somehow knew that this was coming, is sending out holiday cards to friends and family with religious themes, oh I don't know, pushing it a bit.  Maybe I am way over thinking this, and as I said, I don't mind getting Christmas cards from friends and family, but it just seems a tad bit like a free and culturally acceptable chance to proselytize to those one knows.  Or it could be a chance for that person sending the card to say Merry Christmas, we are glad we know you and have you in our lives.

The point I am getting to is, would it be acceptable for me, an avowed godless heathen, to send out Happy Winter Solstice cards?  Maybe it would be alright, so long as I didn't espouse any sort of atheistic agenda within the card.  Now, I have never received, at least to my working knowledge, a card that was telling me that I had to accept the Lord as my savior.  So what is my deal?  Why did I just spend this time writing about something that I don't necessarily have a problem with (or think is a problem) when I could have been doing something else more constructive?  It's because I am fascinated with how society works (duh.....social science student here) and I don't think I have heard anyone raise the question.     

What do you think?  By the number of responses to previous questions I have asked I don't think I will get a response.  However if you have anything to add then go for it. 

D

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make it my goal to send out Winter Solstice cards out next year. Maybe we can get a family picture done or something ;0)

    ReplyDelete